Table of Contents
What is Rosacea?
Rosacea is a common, chronic disorder that can present with a variety of cutaneous or ocular manifestations.
Who is usually affected?
- Primarily adults over the age of 30 years
- Females are commonly affected except phymatous skin changes
- Fair skin individuals
Where does it affect?
Cutaneous involvement primarily affects the central face, with findings such as persistent centrofacial redness, papules, pustules, flushing, telangiectasia, and phymatous skin changes.
Ocular involvement may manifest with lid margin telangiectases, conjunctival injection, ocular irritation, or other signs and symptoms.
Why does it occur?
Exact cause is unknown but could be attributed to:
- Immune dysfunction
- Microorganisms such as Demodex mites
- Vascular hyperactivity
- Ultraviolet light
When will it exacerbate?
Potential exacerbating factors are:
- Exposure to extremes of temperature
- Sun exposure
- Hot beverages
- Spicy foods
- Irritation from topical products
- Psychologic feelings, especially anger, rage, and embarrassment
- Certain drugs, such as nicotinic acid and vasodilators
- Skin barrier disruption
How to manage Rosacea?
- Avoidance of exacerbating factors
- Skincare: Gentle skin cleansing, regular skin moisturizing, avoiding irritating topical product
- Sun protection: Broad-spectrum sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30
- Cosmetic camouflage (foundation)
- Green or yellow light laser
- Intense Pulse Light (IPL) devices
- Topical or oral antibiotics
Although consumption of hot beverages has been considered an exacerbating factor for rosacea, consumption of coffee may not increase risk for rosacea. Caffeine has vasoconstrictive and immunosuppressive properties that could, theoretically, inhibit rosacea.
Take Home Message
Are you seeking personalized and expert guidance to effectively treat your rosacea? Take the next step towards clearer, healthier skin by booking a free consultation at Kaiteki Clinic. Our experienced dermatologists are ready to help you understand your condition better and provide tailored treatment options.