Table of Contents
What is the first feature of the face that you noticed when you look at someone’s face? Most people would say the eyes, as the saying goes, the eyes are the window to the soul.
However, according to a new study, that may not be universally true. While Western cultures do look at the eyes, Asians tend to focus on the nose. Probably us Asians are born with less attractive nose compared to the westerns. This is also the reason why nose enhancement treatments are so vastly available nowadays.
There are generally 2 types of nose enhancement procedures, namely surgical nose job – where a surgery is conducted to place implant into the nose, and non-surgical approach – the nose thread lift.
There are several aspects to consider when comes to which is better for you.
What is Rhinoplasty? (Nose Job Surgery)
Rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure only can be performed by Plastic Surgeons to change the shape, size, and proportion of the nose. This surgery involves placing implants to the nose to correct nose deformities and to enhance the nose appearance.
There are also some functional benefits from the surgery such as enhance breathing for some nose abnormalities, or resolve snoring at night. However, Rhinoplasty is mostly considered for enhancing the aesthetic beauty of the face.
Pros and Cons of Rhinoplasty
- Improves the contour, projection and shape of the nose
- Nose reduction is possible
- Corrects the functional problems
- Long-lasting results
- Risk of scarring
- Long recovery time
- Difficult in choosing a surgeon
- Post-operative care and complications
The procedure of surgery is different for each individual. It depends on the specific goals and features of your nose.
- Step 1 – Surgery is done under general anesthesia.
- Step 2 – The surgeon makes a small cut inside your nostrils. In extensive surgery, open technique is used where incision is made around both nostrils.
- Step 3 – The surgeon will insert the nose implant to fix the deformity. Then, close the wound with sutures.
The surgery takes around 1.5 hours to 3 hours. After the surgery, the nose will be swollen and there may be some bleeding or mucus drainage. Post operative recovery is longer and you have to avoid strenous activities and extreme facial expressions for 2-4 weeks after surgery.
Rhinoplasty result usually makes significant changes to your nose to bring about a satisfactory result. However, some cases might need a second surgery to refine the results further. If that is required, you have to wait for six months to a year before the second surgery.
The final results of the surgery appear after 3 to 6 months when remnant swelling has fully subsided, and the result is permanent.
How much do Rhinoplasty cost?
Pricing for rhinoplasty may vary from RM10,000 – RM30,000 in Malaysia.
What is Nose Thread Lifting?
Nose thread lift is a non surgical nose enhancement procedure where doctor will put in barbed absorbable threads to help enhance the nose shape.
Pros and Cons of Nose Thread Lift
- Less Invasive
- Short recovery time
- Less side effects
- Minimal pain
- Immediate results
- Less costly
- Results are not permanent
- Threads may extrude if it is migrated from the original position
Nose Threads Lift Procedure
- Step 1 – Nose assessment and draw markings for threads placement.
- Step 2 – Analgesic cream is applied to numb the nose for 15 to 20 min. After that, local anesthesia is injected into the tip and bridge of the nose to numb the area.
- Step 3 – A sharp needle is inserted at the nose tip to make a path for the thread.
- Step 4 – Nose threads are inserted from the nose tip needle opening with a blunt cannula.
The whole procedure usually takes around 15 to 30 minutes, this is also why nose thread lift is also referred to as a quick lunch break procedure. After the procedure, doctor will apply topical antibiotic cream at the opening wound to prevent infection. Result of nose thread lift is immediate. The nose will then heal around the threads by producing new collagen which will give the framework and volume to the nose bridge and tip.
The needle wound over nose tip, swelling and redness of the nose will usually heal within 3-5 days time. It is not very common to have complications from nose threads lift. Only in some rare cases, infections and threads extrusions might happen.
The results of a nose thread lift is very much depend on what is the material used. There are generally 3 types of threads available in the market namely PDO, PLLA and PCL. PDO threads last around 6-9 months, while PLLA threads last around 12-18 months. PCL threads are the thickest and they can last slightly longer than PLLA threads. For long lasting results, you can repeat nose thread lift after 1 or 2 years.
How much do Nose Thread Lift cost?
The price of nose thread lift varies depending on the number of threads and type of threads used. The nose thread lift Malaysia price is in the range of RM1500 – RM4000.
Add Your Heading Text Here
There are pros and cons for both surgical rhinoplasty and nose thread lift. Here are some suggestions to help making a choice for your nose enhancement procedure.
Go for nose thread lift if you:
- Want to have a higher nose bridge and sharper nose tip
- Do not want surgeries
- Wish for immediate results
- Cannot accept long downtime
- Want a quick procedure
Go for rhinoplasty if you:
- Want more drastic improvements of the nose
- Want to achieve a smaller and narrower nose
- Want permanent effects
- Want to correct your injured nose or birth abnormality
- Wish to improve breathing or sinus issues